Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pictures! Finally!

Happy Sunday folks! I feel like it's been forever and a day since I actually posted something that's been going on in my classroom.

The last two weeks, which was actually more like a weeks worth of school because we were on Easter break, the children were learning about the Amazon Rain Forest.  I don't think they had any idea what they were getting into but I think they left with a plethora of knowledge and some awesome vocabulary to boot.

They learned about the levels of the rain forest, how much rain they get in a year (around 300 days of rain), and some animals that inhabit the area.  I wish I could have done an entire months worth of rain forest material but unfortunately my curriculum is forcing me to move on with our regular material.

Here are some picture of my room as I promised.  I didn't get to hang up all the parrots because I ran out of tape!! But for your viewing pleasure here you go....Also before I forget, I purchased this unit from Teacher Bits and Bots which was totally worth it.
Long view...I seriously don't have anymore room!!

Trees..the kids loved it!

The kiddos duck so the snack won't bite them..ohh firsties!

More trees

Levels of the rain forest charts..(these took forever to make)

I know it's not the best rain forest in the world but my kiddos loved it and are begging me to keep it up. So I'll keep it around for another few weeks (or until I'm sick of walking into "vines")


This week we are going to be learning vowel dipthongs oi, oy, prepositions and prepositional phrases, sequencing, and lots of other fun stuff.

I went to Wal-Mart today and purchased a few things, first up on the list were these bad boys

They're window markers and they look so neat when you write with them. I think I'm going to use them for sight words and have the kids write down their words on sheet of paper that I can create.  I think the kids are going to flip for them...I took a picture of it on my bathroom mirror because the blinds in my apartment are so difficult to deal with. They have a billion strings and don't come up or down the way I want them to..so mirror it was!

See how pretty!

When I introduce oi and oy I plan on doing the lesson that Cara over at The First Grade Parade did.  I used an old Bath and Body Works bag because I thought it was cute and really didn't feel like going out and buying a new bag, ha!  She cut a hole in her pig's tummy and I decided to cut a hole right where his mouth is.  The kids are going to feed him apples. You can download the words off of her site!! Check it out...

I just love it!!!


Last picture of the night is my preposition pigs.  It's basically the Angry Birds pig and I wrote prepositions on them.  I'm going to hide them around the classroom and then explain the children what prepositions are.  I found the idea on Pinterest. I can't link back to the owner of this idea because everytime I would click on the file it would say the website was corrupt :(. But if anyone knows who this belongs to, drop me a line.
I printed these on light green paper.



I think I covered everything for tomorrow and the next few days. I'll do my best to blog tomorrow but can't make any promises because my school has a tuition banquet tomorrow.

Have a nice evening!



Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Your classroom looks like it is a very busy place where there is a lot of learning taking place! That is what I always say to people when they say their rooms have too much stuff because it is SO true! And . . . I LOVE the pig bag! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casey, we are so busy!! Thanks the kids loved the bag too!

    ReplyDelete